Saturday, November 19, 2005

Postcard from The Alhambra

On a recent, typically fleeting, visit to Granada I got to visit the Alhambra for the second time.

One of Spain's most-visited tourist attractions today, its origins go back to the 13th century, but it is likely that, because of its commanding position above the modern city of Granada, it was both a residential and likely fortified area before then.



Various histories of the place are available online, and there's no need for me to rehearse them here. But I was struck particularly by the textures in the complex, some of which I hope you can get a feel for in my pictures.

















Brian Byrne.

No comments:

The day trip

“Hi,” the man said as he opened the passenger door and peered in. “Hi,” I replied. “Where you headed?” Back in the mid-1970s, people still h...